Nursing in Mental Health - Nursing Times Awards
People with mental health problems need therapeutic interventions that increase their independence and/or empower them to manage their condition and recognise triggers that may result in relapse or exacerbation. Their intensive involvement means nurses make a huge contribution to the care of these patients and clients, whether in community or inpatient settings, working in general or specialist mental healthcare services.
This award is open to individuals and teams working in the NHS or independent sector who have developed initiatives that have improved the delivery of mental health care. Entrants should be able to demonstrate the benefits of their work in terms of improved quality of life or increased independence of their patient or client group.
Examples might include initiatives to:
- Enable hard-to-reach groups to access mental health services
- Improve the quality of life of patients in secure mental health settings
- Improve the mental health of people within the prison system
Each entry will be judged against the following criteria:
- Innovation: originality of the idea
- Value: impact of the initiative on patient care and/or service effectiveness
- Patient focus: evidence that patient/service user need was central to the work
- Collaboration: evidence of the involvement of other professionals, services and/or patients in the project
- Clinical effectiveness: data demonstrating how this initiative drives clinical enhancements
- Leadership: evidence of entrants championing their innovation in their organisation or more widely
- Adaptability: ideas that could be adapted for use elsewhere in entrants’ organisations or other organisations
- Sustainability: initiatives that can be embedded within organisations to operate without the input of the people who developed them
If you are shortlisted for this award, you will be invited to attend our offices in London to present to the judges with one or two of your team members. Please ensure you are available on Thursday 10 September to present to the judges.
Take a look at what our 2019 winner had to say about winning this award: