Infection Prevention and Control - Nursing Times Awards
Infection prevention and control remains a major challenge in healthcare. Nurses at all levels and in all specialties and environments are involved in initiatives aimed at preventing or minimising the spread of infection.
This award is open to individual nurses or teams working in acute or community settings, in the NHS or independent sector and aims to recognise projects that take an innovative approach to this important area of practice. Entrants may be infection prevention and control specialist nurses, general nurses or nurses working in any clinical specialty.
Entrants should have implemented an initiative to improve practice within their immediate area or more widely across their organisation or community. They should be able to demonstrate clear outcomes and show that their initiative has changed practice or procedures and reduced infection-related risks to patients.
Examples might include initiatives to:
- Increase staff awareness of and compliance with infection prevention and control procedures
- Involve patients and visitors in improving infection prevention and control
- Reduce patients’ risk of infection in community settings
Each entry will be judged against the following criteria:
- Innovation: originality of the idea
- Value: impact of the initiative on patient care and/or service effectiveness
- Patient focus: evidence that patient/service user need was central to the work
- Collaboration: evidence of the involvement of other professionals, services and/or patients in the project
- Clinical effectiveness: data demonstrating how this initiative drives clinical enhancements
- Leadership: evidence of entrants championing their innovation in their organisation or more widely
- Adaptability: ideas that could be adapted for use elsewhere in entrants’ organisations or other organisations
- Sustainability: initiatives that can be embedded within organisations to operate without the input of the people who developed them
Take a look at what our 2019 winner had to say about winning this award: