Care of Older People - Nursing Times Awards
As life expectancy increases so does the number of older people with complex health needs. These patients are cared for in virtually all healthcare settings and the vast majority of nurses will care for frail older people at some time.
There have been numerous distressing stories about older people’s experiences of healthcare. This award seeks to show the other story by highlighting the excellent care that is often ignored.
It is open to individual nurses or teams working in any setting in the NHS or independent sector who have developed initiatives specifically to ensure older people receive the best possible care or retain their health and independence.
Examples might include initiatives to:
- Enable older people to live independently at home for as long as possible
- Improve the experience of older people in residential and care homes
- Improve the care offered to older people in the hospital setting
Each entry will be judged against the following criteria:
- Innovation: originality of the idea
- Value: impact of the initiative on patient care and/or service effectiveness
- Patient focus: evidence that patient/service user need was central to the work
- Collaboration: evidence of the involvement of other professionals, services and/or patients in the project
- Clinical effectiveness: data demonstrating how this initiative drives clinical enhancements
- Leadership: evidence of entrants championing their innovation in their organisation or more widely
- Adaptability: ideas that could be adapted for use elsewhere in entrants’ organisations or other organisations
- Sustainability: initiatives that can be embedded within organisations to operate without the input of the people who developed them
If you are shortlisted for this award, and with coronavirus conditions permitting, you will be invited to attend our Covid-19 secure offices to present to the judges on Monday 6 September 2021. The shortlist will be informed if there are any changes to the final judging process.
Take a look at what our 2019 winner had to say about winning this award: